Monday, April 13, 2009

A surprising opportunity

On my day off today, I went to buy some furniture. I'm feeling pretty ordinary, and really wanted to go, get what I wanted and come home to the couch. I wasn't thinking about an opportunity to share the gospel; I wasn't looking out for doors that might open in conversation.

But God had other ideas.

As I went to pay, the shop owner saw the Bible in my bag and the conversation started something like this:

Him: "Not meaning to be rude for looking in your bag, but is that a Holy Bible in there? Do you read it?"

Me: "Yes, it is a Bible. And yes, I do read it."

Him: "Wow. I didn't think anyone read it any more. I'm really worried about my kids - they have nothing, no hope, no belief in something bigger than they are, nothing that makes them afraid so they will do the right thing."

Me (a little stunned at how the conversation had opened up, mumbled something like): "So what do you believe?"


The conversation continued - we talked a little about his fear of militant Islam, his desire for his kids to have something to hope in and his recognition that there is something wrong in the world, and that we fail to live the right way. I got to mention Jesus and the hope that we can have in him, and I pulled out the copy of The Essential Jesus (which I carry in my handbag in the hope of being able to give it away to people when the opportunity arises). It wasn't the clearest explanation I've ever given, but he seemed really eager and was keen to take the book and read it.

I'm giving thanks to our gracious Father for this opportunity, and praying that as this mean reads Luke's Gospel he will understand who Jesus is and put his faith in him. Now to get a new copy of The Essential Jesus from church to put in my handbag.

No comments: