Wednesday, September 17, 2008

So, what are you reading at the moment?

A couple who were visiting at The Bible Talks on Sunday night asked me what I was reading at the moment (apart from the Bible).

I shared with them that I was currently reading The Consolations of Theology, available at Moore Books. Edited by MTC lecturer Brian Rosner, it also contains contributions from other MTC lecturers Andrew Cameron, Richard Gibson, Peter Bolt and Mark Thompson. It's not an easy read, but by looking at a great theologian from the past (such as Boethius, Luther or Lactatius) it demonstrates the great comfort that a true understanding of God can provide the believer. I've really appreciated the insight and practical reminder of the great hope that we have and the comfort it provides.

When they asked me for any other recommendations and I gave them my 3 other favourite reads. I try and read each of these books at least once a year, with another person if at all possible.

They are The Cross of Christ, John Stott, Knowing God, JI Packer and A Call to Spiritual Reformation, Don Carson. I'm pretty sure that each of these 3 are available at the Cathedral Bookshop - why not pick one up after church on Sunday?

No comments: